Making My Own Version of Nanoleaf Aurora – DIY Project

– Hi there and welcome
to Hansy's Creative Show. Today we're gonna make an LED project! I want to make some cool wall LED lights. Similar to the nanoleaf auroras, I think it's gonna be a fun challenge. This project can basically be divided into three different challenges. The shape, the light and the diffusion, the color and the color patterns. So first things first, we're gonna start with the shape and that we're gonna 3D print. So I printed eight of these
over the course of several days and before I do anything more to them, I'm just gonna use some spray paint to give them a different color
or the same color actually. So, we're basically done with the shape, kinda afraid that this circle
here won't be large enough to hold enough LED strips
to make this thing light up when the room is already lit. So, my other idea was to just place it
around the entire thing. The problem then is that the cable in the middle will
maybe obstruct the light and create a shadow of a cable.

I'm not quite sure, but I did buy some diffusers, so, before we cut them we can
just put diffusers on top, and test everything and see what we get. Yeah. Yup. And that looks pretty great actually. Okay, so at full white
brightness we are at 0.6 amps. If we multiply that by
10 we will have six amps. That's some 12 watts. Now I know how to proceed, so I'm just gonna remove the
circles of all the shapes, cut the LED strips,
solder on the connectors, and then we can begin to
add the diffusers on top. So let's go. So, it seems to work
except for those two here and I'm not sure what's going on here.

Maybe there's a bad solder or maybe there's just a voltage drop. I'm not quite sure. I have to do some investigation. And this is when they're off? Okay, so I know what's going on here. Those are two different
kinds of LED strips and I didn't see that some of the pins are actually changed on these two here. So I have soldered the ground
wire to the signal wire and the other way around. So, I'm just gonna
switch that and hopefully that will make it work as it should.

I couldn't quite figure
out what was wrong, so I'm just gonna replace
the two LED strips. Now I have to cut their
diffusers into hexagon shapes. And this is three
millimeter thick acrylic. And I'm gonna cut it by scoring the lines and then snapping it along those lines. I think that's gonna create a very clear and clean
cut, comparing to a saw. I think having a CNC
machine would be great, but I don't have that, so, I'm just gonna take the time it takes. Well, that only took a day. At least now I'm done and I
can focus on gluing them on, and then I can do the
lights and the electronics.

To glue them on, I'm just gonna
use some normal super glue. To get it to stick right,
but also if I need to, I will be able to take them off. I think that's kinda nice. Let's connect them all together
and see what it looks like. I think it looks pretty nice. I like the shapes, I like the clean cuts. Everything looks great
except for the light itself. I think the effects are a bit too messy and they, it's obvious that they're not really
made to fit these lights.

And that's because these are just some pre-programmed light effects that comes with this controller. I will leave a link for it
if that's what you like, but I want to program my own light that really fits with
this kind of lighting. I'm gonna write some code that enables me to control the lights via my cell phone using the blink app. So, if you want the walk
through on the code, I will leave one on our Patreon page out and of course I will make the
code available for everyone. So, what I did was I 3D printed this box and put all the electronics
on the inside of it. It's basically just an ESP32 but I had to attach a voltage step-down and a logic level shift to be able to control the
LED strips with the ESP32. And now that everything physical is done, I just have to write a code to create some cool light effects and to be able to
control it with my phone. I put the lights on the
wall, and the app is ready. As I said, I made it using blink, and I added a couple of features so that the lights can fade between different colors
independently of each other.

I also made a setting to set the color of the lights to a static light. The camera doesn't really catch
the brightness of the color. It kinda makes everything
white and the blended out, but the color is very vibrant and you can really see the color popping. I will try to get some better
shots of it on the B-roll. The app is quite simple to use and it's very easy to
add new features to it. If I want later, as I said,
I will add the code to GitHub and I will put a schematic of the electronics in the description and I will also make a separate
code walkthrough video, but that will only be
available for our Patreons. So if you want to support us, go to our Patreon page check that out. I really loved making this project and I think the result is
one of my favorite so far. Thank you so much for watching and I'll hopefully see
you soon in a new project..

As found on YouTube

Related Posts