Eliminate Light Gaps on Window Blackout Roller Shades // Tiny Apartment Build Ep.7

Today we’re getting rid of the light and
give a proper use to this blackout roller shade. So, there were a few things restored and installed
on the Tiny Apartment before I came in, and the guys who worked here that are supposed
to be construction professionals, I mean, not sure what to call them really, but whatever,
THEY horribly installed the Blackout shades leaving gaps on the sides so, I’m going
to fix this now. First thing I did was to level the roller
so that it lands evenly over the marble stool. I also took the opportunity to move the roller
a bit closer to the glass just making sure the window handle got enough room.

This place used to have old inset exterior
blinds that got replaced by the rollers after the window replacement. So that’s why there is sort of a box on
the top of the window that was repurposed to hide the roller. My idea here is really simple. I want a super clean look without protruding
tracks on the side jambs. And the blinds manufacturer doesn’t have
anything with low profile that could work on this situation. So, what I did was to extend the jambs thickness
that in this case are concrete, as this is a concrete wall, and make a deep vertical
groove on each side for the roller shade to run along. I grabbed some scraps of moisture resistant
plywood and mdf and cut them to size leaving room to glue a strip of solid wood on the
facing edge.

I can now make a thin groove on the side jambs
using my table saw, You can also use a circular saw with a straight edge or a router with
a small diameter bit. After checking for fit in site, I discovered
the walls are not straight so I had to trim the front edge slightly on angle to make a
better fit. Now we need to cut a little bit of the bottom
bar so that the end of the fabric can be smashed and fit inside the grooves we just made. It seems to be working well, so I can attach
the new jambs to the concrete wall directly using some concrete anchors. For the top section, I reutilized part of
the aluminium cover for the area closer to the window. Since I moved the roller closer to the glass,
I had to cut this piece and thought I could get away with it with just an exacto knife
but I was wrong.

It took a couple passes with the angle grinder
until it finally snapped. I reattached the piece with two screws and
used the old front section to find the correct place for the holes on this new water resistant
mdf cover. To install a thicker material like this mdf
allows me to have the screw heads bellow the surface and make it all nice and flush later. I added a tab on each end to help it from
falling when set in place. I could then insert the fabric into the grooves
and screw the top section to the wall.

Make sure to test it a bunch of times. Much better. Ok, so now for the final touches, I did my
best to disguise the fact that all this happened in the first place. I mixed some mud to fill the holes and correct
some unevenness from the materials and applied caulk on corner gaps. I also made sure to protect the fabric with
tape from any unwanted brush strokes. After sanding it all smooth, I primed and
pained the whole area with the same shade of white as the walls. That’s it for this one! I’m supper happy about the way this turned
out and I hope this brings some great ideas for your next project. I’m confident this will last as I used moisture
resistant materials here but I’ll keep you posted if something goes wrong. If you wonder how to find the screw heads
later if this needs to be repaired or removed, you can just use a magnet to find them.

Huge thanks to my Patreon members and thanks
for watching everyone!.

As found on YouTube

Related Posts